Monday, January 24, 2011

QFPMS: Kinky Curly Come Clean


One of the first products that I purchased when I decided to transition to natural hair was Kinky Curly Come Clean. I heard tons of good things about the Kinky Curly line, so I decided to give it a try. I headed to my nearest Whole Foods and picked up a bottle. {Note: Kinky Curly is now sold in many Target stores. Check here to see if it is sold in a Target store near you.}

PRICE:  This will run you about $12 a bottle.


PRODUCT CLAIMS: The packaging on the bottles states that "our exclusive blend of mandarine orange extract will gently clean your hair and scalp of buildup while sea kelp will maintain its proper moisture balance. This sulfate-free shampoo is perfect for dry, damaged hair and is gentle enough for daily use."


INGREDIENTS: This is mostly organic product. Since I have decided to use mostly, if not entirely, organic products on my hair, this is a major plus! This product is also sulfate-free which makes me very happy! It does, however, contain c14-16 olefin sulfonate, a cleanser that is known to be somewhat drying. It also contains cocamidopropyl betaine (coconut derived), a very gentle cleanser commonly used to counteract the dryness of harsher cleansers, so my guess is that the ability of the product to retain moisture in the hair while cleansing will vary from person to person (depending on how sensitive one's hair is to harsher cleansers). 


SB: Want to see what the ingredients in your hair care products are supposed to do? Check out this awesome ingredient dictionary at www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients/. It includes even the most uncommon of ingredients!


MY EXPERIENCE:
I first tried this product when I was 3 months into my transition (which means I had barely an inch of new growth...). At the time, I loved this product! It did exactly what it said it would do. It cleaned my hair and left it very soft and moisturized. Since this wholly organic product is on the expensive side (it'll cost you about $12 a bottle), I chose to put it on hold in the cabinet while I tried out other inexpensive shampoos. The next time I tried this shampoo ( a few weeks ago), my results were definitely...different. Instead of feeling completely moisturized like it had before, my hair had mixed results. On my relaxed ends, it felt completely moisturized. On my new growth, however, it felt dry and brittle.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Although this product did make my hair feel drier than I would have liked, it certainly did get my hair and scalp clean. I probably wouldn't use this on a regular weekly basis, but I wouldn't certainly use it for deeper cleanings. I can't quite say whether it would be a staple deeper cleaning shampoo, but it will certainly be in my rotation.


{FTC Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. This product was purchased by myself. All opinions are my own.} 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...