Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Embracing You as You Are

{source}
One of the biggest things that I've had to come to terms with during my transition to natural hair is me the way that I am created. During the first 3 months of my transition, I did a TON of watching natural beauties on youtube. Since it had only been a few months since my last relaxer, there wasn't enough new growth for me to really get a sense of what my unique curl pattern would be like. So naturally, I hoped and prayed that my curls would be the same as some those youtube ladies that I loved to watch so much. But as my hair began to grow more, and my curl pattern made itself known, I realized that my curls were certainly not like the others. 


Granted, my hair does kink, curl, and coil like some of those youtube naturals, but for some reason what seemed to unanimously work for their hair just didn't work for me. Certain styles and products were just absolute failures. My hair would become a tangled, matted mess to the point where I literally had to cut out some of the knots and tangles. At that time, I was extremely frustrated...and a little envious too. Of course at the time I had heard of the infamous curl envy that overtakes many in the natural hair community, but I just didn't think that was it. But in actuality, it was. I was envious of what others had to the point that I was disregarding what I needed just to get what they had. 


It wasn't until I began to come to terms with the curls that were growing on my head that things really got better. I began to just observe what I needed and cater towards those needs. Yes, I still take a leaf or two from others to get an idea for something, but at the end of the day, my hair is what leads the way in my hair care regimen. Novel idea isn't it? Well it was for me at the time. Embracing what my hair is and not thinking about what it isn't has been a huge pivotal point in my mental transition to natural hair. Much like coming to terms with other aspects that I can't change about myself, I became more proud of my natural texture. There will never be another head of curls quite like mine...and for that I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...