Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Quest for the Perfect Moisturizing Shampoo: Introduction

Yes, these are actually all shampoos that I have used in the past, including while I was still getting perms. PJ much?! lol
One of the most important things to learn in any hair journey is what your hair likes, what it doesn't like, what it needs, and what it could do without. Now that I am nearly 8 months post relaxer, I have enough new growth to get a feeling for some of the wants, needs, likes, and dislikes of my hair. The biggest need of all is more moisture.                                                            
I have come to learn that my natural hair does not retain moisture well (my relaxed ends on the other hand seem to hold water for days....). It is therefore important for me to create a hair regimen that involves both retaining and restoring moisture to my hair. Because of this need, my ideal hair regimen involves regularly washing with a gentle, moisturizing shampoo.            


As my luck would have it, this seems to be the one product that keeps evading me. The self-proclaimed moisturizing shampoos that I have tried in the past were still harsh, and drying on my hair--the complete opposite of what I want in a MOISTURIZING shampoo. So, now starts the great Quest For the Perfect Moisturizing Shampoo (QFPMS). 
My requirements for this ever elusive product are quite simple. It must be:
  1. Sulfate free: Sulfates, such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate, are detergents commonly found in many hair care products. While sulfates are beneficial for those with oilier hair, my hair is on the drier side and doesn't need something this strong to get it clean. As such, I am opting for a much less potent shampoo.
  2. completely compatible with my hair (i.e. my hair loves it!)
This is the first post in a series relating to this quest. Other posts in the series will be product reviews on the shampoos that I have tried, including some of the shampoos pictured above. The series will be ongoing until I find a moisturizing shampoo that I love.

{Side Bar: There is a difference between moisturizing shampoos (the one's meant to be used on a regular basis) and clarifying shampoos (the one's meant to be used once every 4 - 6 weeks). I am only looking for my staple moisturizing shampoo at the moment. I also realize that some of the products pictured above do not claim to be moisturizing shampoos. It is merely a picture of shampoo bottles that I had at the time the picture was taken and nothing more.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...