Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Seems Like Your Ready...to BC...



Over the past few weeks, I have been working hard on a paper for a moot court competition at school.  During this time, I had to put a lot of things on the back burner, including washing my hair. Yes, I went two weeks without washing my hair instead of the usual once a week washday. The result was a huge curly fro which I absolutely loved!

The day after I turned in my paper, I finally had the free time to wash my hair. I followed my usual washday steps, but that day something was just different. For one, I realized how thick my hair was getting. And for another, I realized that maybe I’m more ready to BC than I originally thought.

After I DC’d and began to style, for some unexplained reason I decided to clip the relaxed ends off of random pieces of hair around my head. There aren’t gaping areas where I did this, but just a few strands here and a few strands there. In my snip happy frenzy, I had the urge to completely cut off all of my relaxed ends. And to be honest, if I didn’t have a prior engagement later in the day, I probably would have BC’d right there in my bathroom. I was actually rationalizing with myself that I couldn’t do it at that moment like I wanted to.

To say the least, I was kind of surprised by my reaction. The pieces that I did cut were relatively short (at 9 months post I only have on average 4.5 inches of new growth). As a person who has never had hair shorter than neck length, going into this journey I thought that this would be a huge shock to me. It was part of the reason why I chose to transition for at least a year. But now that I know I would be ok with shorter hair for a bit, I’m starting to reconsider my original May BC date. I would still like it to be warm consistently so I can wear my twa in wash and go’s without fear that the cold will make my hair hard and brittle (I live on east coast so winters can be harsh).

For now, I’ve upped my BC date to mid-March during my school’s spring break. That should give me plenty of time to play in my hair some more and see if I continue to feel like I want to BC sooner rather than later. Regardless of the date that I actually do it, I'm excited to see the natural me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...