Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Transitioning To Me

{Source}
So much going right with this picture!

One of the biggest things that I've noticed about myself during my transition thus far is that I have become more accepting of myself. In the past, I have taken so much pride in my hair that my entire mood for the day circled around whether I was having a bad hair day or not. If I was having a bad hair day, everything else would fall to pieces. I wouldn't feel like dressing cute and girly as I usually do. I wouldn't want to spend time primping and slapping on just the right amount of make up to accentuate my features. I wouldn't care if my nail polish was chipping to the point of almost non-existence. I wouldn't even have enough confidence to hold my head up high when I was walking down the street. My hair was my shield and the entirety of my confidence.

The moment I decided to go natural, there was definitely a shift in how I viewed myself. After watching a lot of others on youtube, I knew that the transition wouldn't always be a smooth process. I knew I would have countless bad hair days simply because one of the two textures on my head didn't want to cooperate with the other. Since I couldn't go an entire year moping around, I knew I couldn't hide behind my hair anymore.

At first, this was kind of a scary thought. For as long as I could remember, my hair had been my pride and joy. It was what I got the most compliments on. As time went on, however, I have become more and more comfortable being myself without relying on my hair. I take more pride in other things about myself, and I celebrate and appreciate the features that I was born with. I knew that there was a mental component to the transition to natural hair, but I just didn't expect that it would mean transitioning to me. The last piece of the puzzle is living with the hair that I was created with and I can't wait to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...