Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Essential Transitioning Tools

{source}
There are some hair care tools that are essential to a successful transition. They help minimize the frustration you have with your hair, prevent knotting, and assist with each step of your hair care regimen. What’s even better? These tools are true investments. They can be used not only for you transition period, but also for the rest of you natural hair journey!





Grey Perm Rods
My signature transitional style is a twist-rod set. My set would be nothing without these babies!

Disposable plastic caps.
Great for your DC! Some curly heads also use them for the baggy method. (Process of sleeping with the plastic cap on to assist in retaining moisture in the hair)

Satin Bonnet
Not exactly the most stylish bedtime accessor but absolutely needed. Sleeping on cotton pillowcases without anything to protect the hair can cause friction. This friction can lead to breakage overtime. I opt for a satin bonnet, some opt for a satin pillowcase, and others opt to use both. What you choose to do is totally up to you.

Hair Shears
These hair clippers are great for trimming the permed ends from transitioning hair. When fully natural, I foresee that these will come in handy for ridding my hair of single strand knots.

Note: when cutting your hair, always be sure to only use hair shears. Regular scissors aren't sharp enough to provide a clean cut, resulting in potential split ends down the line.

Sectioning Clips
I have found that the best method to prevent excessive knotting on washday is to do everything in sections. These clips are great for keeping my hair separated.

Detangling Combs
Wide tooth combs are always good for detangling the hair. I like to go from large space between teeth to small space between teeth to ensure that I get out all of the knots. Recently, I've been trying the Denman brush. Be on the look out for my review!

Duck Clips
Duck clips are great for separating hair within a section.

Rat Tail Comb
Rat tail combs are great for parting my hair when I set my hair. Note: DO NOT run a fine tooth comb through dry, transitioning or natural hair (unless you are flat ironing your hair).




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...