Thursday, January 27, 2011

Moisturizing Transitioning Hair

{source}
Moisturizing your hair is an important element to any hair care regimen, including transitioning hair care regimens. Ideally, you should moisturize your hair every 2 to 3 days between washdays.  This simple task, however, is no easy feat for transitioning curlys like me.

Although water is the best moisturizer, it certainly isn’t ideal for transitioning hair unless you intend on resetting your hair every 2 to 3 days. My transitioning hair care regimen only allows me to manipulate my hair about once a week. So having to wet and reset my hair about 3 times a week is just not an option. As an alternative, I tried a number of different moisturizing lotions. Every product I tried stripped my hair of moisture rather than restoring moisture to my hair. I needed to do something different to keep my hair soft and moisturized through out the week.

Thankfully, I found an answer to my dilemma: oils. Certain oils have the ability to penetrate the hair shaft and moisturize the strands. I tried Africa’s Best Herbal Oils (ABHO) mostly because it only costs about $2 a bottle and I used to use it when I was younger. (Who says great hair care products have to cost you a fortune?) The oils contained in this practically wholly organic mixture aren’t exactly penetrating, but it did enough to see if oils are the solution to my problem. So far so good! My hair retains it shine, and remains soft throughout the week. 

Once I finish the bottle of this product, I will try both coconut oil and olive oil. Both oils have been proven to have deep conditioning properties. Although I still have some experimenting to do as far is which oil is best for me, I think this is the solution to my dilemma. 

What do you do to moisturize your transitioning hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...