Monday, March 7, 2011

How-To: Cute Up-Do for Transitioning Hair


For the past 9 months, my signature transitional style has been twist-rod sets. While this simple, practical style has become my staple, I wanted to do something a little different. In my usual fashion, I looked at some things that other people have done and came across this uber cute and easy style. What I love most about this style is that it can be done on type of hair, regardless of whether you are relaxed, natural, or transitioning. I find that this style works best on dry hair. Below is what I did to achieve this look.


Here are the products that I used:

Detangling tool (I used my new Tangle Teezer), your favorite gel (I had Eco Styler Olive Oil in my shelf), spray bottle with water, hair clips, bobby pins, and a brush (the brush is optional).

Step 1: Detangle

Starting with my 5-day old twist-rod set, I prepare my hair for this style by first detangling. I lightly dampen my hair with water to make it easier to manipulate and separate it into 4 big sections.


One section at a time, I detangle using my Tangle Teezer, then twist and clip the hair out of the way.


Once fully detangled, I apply a little Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine all over my hair to moisturize and comb through with my Tangle Teezer.


Step 2: Section

I next section my hair into three big sections.


Step 3: Slick, Tuck, and Pin

Starting with the section closest to my neck, I split the section horizontally into 2 smaller sections. I clip the upper section out of the way. On the bottom most section, I use a little gel to slick sides of my hair down and bobby pin it in place. (I use a brush here to ensure that it is smooth)


With the remaining hair from that bottom most section, I tuck the ends under and pin in place. I also shape to my liking. It should look like a little hump.


I continue this throughout the remainder of my hair. Each section should produce two bumps. Below are pictures of what my hair looked like after I completed two of the three big sections. (Left is with 1 section done, right is with 2 section done)


   
For the very last bump which is the one closes to my forehead, I use a little gel on the hair to make my curl pattern come out. This gives the overall look a more polished effect.


And this is what it looks like when I'm completely finished.


To refresh this look the next day, I simply reapply gel and re-tuck sections as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...