Saturday, January 8, 2011

Quirky Girl Tips: The Mental Transition



I learned rather quickly that transitioning to natural isn't just a physical transformation, it's a mental one as well. Here are a few tips and tricks that helped me overcome those frustrating days when I mentally couldn't handle it.

  1. Find Your Natural CURLspiration. There will be days when you really ask yourself, "why am I doing this to myself??". The only way that I have been able to pull through these occasions is to go to my favorite blogs and look over the many natural hair journeys of others. Seeing the before and after shots of these curlicious divas gave me the drive to press on. If they could do it, I could do it too.
  2. Be Patient. If you are like me, then when you really want something, you want it right now. Like, RIGHT NOW, right now. When transitioning, there is no snapping of fingers and *poof* kinktastic afro. It takes a lot of time to grow out your straight ends and to obtain your dream length. There is no such thing as a magic product that will miraculously make your hair grow 3 inches in one month. So to get through those impatient moments, I went back to an oldie but a goodie: "Good things come to those who wait." In time and with good hair care practices, your hair dreams will be a reality.
  3. Master at least one transitional style. There are TONS of styles to rock on a day to day basis, but every so often, your transitional hair will just not do what you want it to do. Your new growth won't remain sleek enough to blend with your relaxed ends for straighter styles, and your relaxed ends won't curl enough to blend in with your new growth for curlier styles. To keep frustration at bay in times like these, I always go back to my good ole trustworthy style: the twist-n-curl. Knowing this particular style in and out makes it easy for me to fix my hair even on the worst of bad hair days. 
  4. Be Confident In Your Hair Plan. You have absolutely no idea the number of times that someone has tried to convince me either to go back to that creamy crack or to do my BC. Although I know that these people have the best of intentions, at the end of the day only I will have to live with my hair. Not anyone else. The only person that knows exactly what would make me happy with my hair is me, so I will not do anything that I know for a fact will not make me happy with my hair. Don't let anyone sway you  into doing something that you don't really want to do. Be confident in what you want and stick with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...